Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omnipotentclown

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Here is how to use full length songs as ringtones, fully bypassing the 30 second from iTunes.​

To start you have to have a jailbroken iPhone running the 2.2 firmware. Next you need to enable ssh access via OpenSSH installed through Cydia. Once thats up and running download and install WinSCP onto you computer.​

First we need to create a ringtone. Open up the desired song in iTunes, right click it and select "Create AAC Version".​

4ut6ko.jpg

Once its done converting right click on the new version and select "Show In Windows Explorer".​

15n3ghg.jpg

Rename the song type from ".m4a" to ".m4r".​

25pjout.jpg

Make sure your iPhone is connected to the same network as you computer. Startup WinSCP that you just installed. Click on the Session tab. Enter the phone's IP address. The user name is root and the password is either "dottie" or "alpine" (no quotation marks).​

1zznk14.jpg

A dialog box will popup asking you if you want to accept the RSA key from the iPhone. Click Yes.​

1hdroj.jpg

An explorer window should open. In the right pane navigate up one level, then to "stash", the to "Ringtones".​

rkd7ox.jpg

Once there simply drag and drop your new ringtone into the folder. Once it's done copying go to Settings on your phone, click Sounds, then Ringtone and there it is.​

24llvnb.jpg

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
Yes, but why?

After 15-20 secs. your caller is kicked to voicemail anyway and you won't even hear the entire song...

Now if the intent is annoy everyone around you then I guess this is one way to do that.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Yes, but why?

After 15-20 secs. your caller is kicked to voicemail anyway and you won't even hear the entire song...

Now if the intent is annoy everyone around you then I guess this is one way to do that.

Aye, I so agree with this. There is nothing more annoying than a phone ringing and ringing and ringing whilst you are on a bus, train or in public.

However, I do see how it might be needed in some ways , such as your phone is in your bag, car etc and you didn't hear it ringing.

Good idea though, but definitely not for me.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

You can also use itoner to do unlimited length ring tones, but why would you want this. As mentioned above people are sent to voicemail after 20 seconds or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.