Created bootcamp partition but getting black screen after reboot

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mancmanomyst, Dec 14, 2012.

1. mancmanomyst macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I've managed to make a right pigs ear of my system after installing a new SSD on my late 2011 MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion. My Mountain Lion partition is working fine but I can't get Windows 7 to install on bootcamp or get it to restore from an image I made of it with restore in disk utility.

Here's the full story:

1. I backed up my system via Time Machine and also made an image (dmg) of my original bootcamp partition

2. I installed a 512GB SSD and moved the original HDD to the optical bay

3. I used disk utility from recovery mode to restore the original HDD Macintosh HDD partition onto the SSD after formatting the drive. I also renamed the SSD drive so I knew which drive was which

4. I used bootcamp assistant to partition the SSD drive with a 200Gb partition for Windows and the rest for OS X but I didn't let Bootcamp start the windows installer (after the automatic reboot, I shutdown my machine and restarted it, forcing it back into the mac OS)

5. I used Disk Utility to restore my image of the original bootcamp partition onto the bootcamp partition on the SSD.

6. I used fdisk to flag my bootcamp partition as bootable. At this point everything was hunky dorey. I could boot into Windows or Mac fine

7. I then reformatted the original HDD drive to HFS journalled and called the single partition Data. At this point I could no longer boot into windows although Disk Utility still showed my bootcamp partition.

8. I thought the easiest way to fix this may have been to restore my SSD back to it's original single mac partition using bootcamp assistant and repeat the original steps I followed to setup bootcamp

9. I created the partition for Windows again via bootcamp assistant ok but this time when I used disk utility to restore from the dmg image, I got the following message "Could not change the partition type for /dev/disk0s4 - Resource busy". I've tried it with the bootcamp partition mounted and dismounted but it makes no difference.

10. I thought maybe I should try the restore from the recovery partition instead so I rebooted and launched recovery but all I get is the loading animation and recovery never boots up

11. I also thought maybe I could allow bootcamp to install windows 7 as a fresh install then try the recovery but when I allow the mac to boot this way all I get is a black screen and Windows 7 doesn't install even though the now external SuperDrive is spinning.

I'm really not sure what else to try now other than maybe doing a clean install of mountain lion then restoring from the time machine backup but I'm also conscious that an SSD has a limited number of rewrites per cell and I don't want to unnecessarily reduce the lifetime of my drive by reinstalling the OS again.

Can anyone explain what has happened and what I can do about it? Happy to use command line tools to help the diagnostic

Thanks

2. aking83 macrumors member

aking83

I backed up my windows 10 partition a dmg, how can I get it restored back to normal in mac pos with the boot option?

Can I just follow your steps above from 4-6?