Created New Apple ID applications won't update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HeadGear, Mar 14, 2012.

1. HeadGear macrumors member

Before I call Apple I'd rather check the forums and see if anyone knows of an answer.

Purchased MacBook Air 3 weeks ago and used my Apple ID (myemail@earthlink.net) and then I cancelled my e-mail account with Earthlink mainly because they suck and created a G-Mail account and made that new account my Apple ID.

So now when I go to the Mac App Store to update iPhoto and GarageBand it still wants my earthlink account and will not take my G-Mail. What all do I need to do to get my applications updated using my g-mail and not earthlink?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

You can't. The applications are tied to the account. The correct approach would be to just change your ID on your current account. Yes, you can do this, not 100% sure of the online steps. But in worse case call support 1800 My Apple and they can do it for you.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Go to appleid.apple.com, click Manage your Account, log in (yes, using the Earthlink email address as your Apple ID), and then change the primary email address on your account. This should also prompt you to change the Apple ID to that address.

Also, if you ever go for an iCloud account, don't start fresh; log in using that same Apple ID (your Gmail address, once you've done the above) to avoid creating multiple ID's.

jW

4. HeadGear thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Mal - also called Apple and they told me to e-mail Apple to transfer all my purchases from one account to the other.

5. HeadGear thread starter macrumors member

Just tried this process and it worked perfectly! Thanks a ton for offering this information up.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

YEs, but there is no guarantee that they will follow through with this or are even savvy enough to do so. Recently this has been a hotbed topic and many have said they were told by first level support to create a new account and go this way, only to find out later through upper level support that they claim to have no way to do such or processes in place to handle such requests. I think it is more to keep people from committing some type of fraud, as what would keep me from creating accounts for my entire family and asking to have my apps transferred??

7. HeadGear thread starter macrumors member

Apple e-mailed me saying they couldn't do it. No surprise they don't like to work on things they don't think matters.

What I did find out is that if you created an Apple ID within the last year you can change the e-mail address on the Apple ID account which doesn't transfer purchases but it does allow everything to go through a new e-mail and you never have to use the original e-mail you had.

So that was the process I took which worked perfectly, except for my @mac account since that was 4 years ago.

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You can also just keep the old account ID email name and then change the email attached to the account and this has no limitation of when the account was created. I used this as a way to use one account for the family (so apps get shared across devices), but have added email addresses for each individual. Now I can use iMessage correctly and each get their own messages by going into their individual iMessage preferences and adding their specific email and deleting the account specific email.