created new partition and windows not loading

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alex00100, Aug 16, 2011.

1. alex00100 macrumors regular

hi, everybody!
    i needed to make a new partition, disk utility sad that i may not be able to boot in windows(why?) i can reinstall anytime. but now i realized that i need a few files from AppData folder(located in my user folder) witch is not visible in mac os. but i see the boot camp partition and the rest of the files.

what do i do? can i boot windows? can i get access to AppData and reinstall?
    i feel stupid, disk utility notified me...

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Likely it's because Windows can't boot if it's the fifth partition or higher. MBR is the partition table format that Windows uses by default. It can't handle more than 4 partitions. GPT on the other hand, which is used by Mac OS by default, can handle far more than that. The issue is that if you send a windows partition using a mac to the fifth partition or higher, then it gets bumped off the MBR due to the MBR's limit. This is why you wouldn't be able to boot from it. Keep in mind that this includes invisible partitions, of which the Mac has two(on Lion).

3. alex00100 thread starter macrumors regular

now i have 3 partitions, unincluding invisible. so overall i have 5 partitions? i have to have only 2? if i delete one everything will work again, right?