Created New User - File/Folder Permissions are initially incorrect.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Imac Sam, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

Tonight I attempted to create a New Administrator User. Once I added them via Users & Groups in the System Preferences of an OLD Administrator Account, I proceeded to log out of that OLD account and login to the NEW account. Once there I found I could not open System Preferences. Any changes I may have made in the Finder Preferences such as, show Hard drives on Desktop also would NOT stick once I restarted the computer in the NEW account. OLD account seems to have no problems whatsoever.

I looked at the folder permissions inside the various folders of the user folder of the NEW account and saw that NEW account did NOT contain the User: NEW. Once I went thru all of the major folders(Library, Documents, Desktop, etc..) and added the User: NEW, everything worked fine.

I attempted to create a 2nd-NEW User, and had the same problem again.

My question is why whenever I create any new user, that I have to go and change the respective users folder permissions before the account will work. Is there a fix for this? On a 2nd Mac I have, all works fine whenever I create a new user.

By the way I am running OS 10.7.4

2. Imac Sam thread starter macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

3. Winter Charm, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Try opening Disk Utility and repairing permissions. That may help.

Launchpad > Utilities > Disk Utility > click on "Macintosh HD" in the sidebar > go to the "First Aid" tab > button at the bottom "Repair Disk Permissions"

You may also want to verify your disk. If Lion says there are any issues, I highly suggest booting into recovery mode and repairing disk. (The option will be greyed out while the volume is in use)

4. Imac Sam thread starter macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

What happens if you login to the new admin user that you fixed the permissions on and create another new admin user?

6. Imac Sam thread starter macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

The same thing. Even if I created "standard" account.

7. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

It's possible some system files were damaged. You could always restart and hold down the option key, and boot into recovery mode.

Then, reinstall Lion, but choose the setting that just reinstalls all system files and doesn't delete any of your personal files.

As with anything else of this nature, please be sure to create a backup before starting.

EDIT: have you tried resetting PRAM and NVRAM? Sometimes, this can cause issues, too.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

That Apple Support page should guide you. :)