"Created with Trial Version of Flip4Mac?"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Simple Living, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Simple Living macrumors member

When I download a video online and convert it to an mp4, using QuickTime, I keep getting a message that stays in the video that it was created using a trial version of Flip4Mac. Why? I purchased QuickTime and the Flip4Mac software came with it. I tried deleting the Flip4Mac portions of it but then I can't convert the files and it says software is missing.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I'm new to Mac as of January and I love it. My only frustration comes when I try to save video files. With Windows I could right click and save easily. With Mac, it's an incredibly difficult procedure (which, I'm sure, is due to my lack of knowledge). It saves files as .afx and I have no idea what that is.

I watch a lot of ministry videos that I like to keep on file to watch and share. What's the easiest way for me to save them and be able to put them into iMovie to edit them? I convert the files to mp4, but iMovie doesn't always take them. I'm not the most computer-literate person there is, but I'm not a complete dunce. When I find ways to make it work, it's usually by accident and it's taken me hours to do. Any help or shortcuts would be more appreciated than you could know. Thank you.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Purchasing QuickTime does not give you Flip4Mac. Flip4Mac is not bundled with QuickTime, so you have to pay for it separately.

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

to clarify, flip4mac has a free plugin to allow Quicktime to play those godawful WMV files. But to actually export a WMV to another format, you have to pay for the full flip4mac tools or you get the watermark.

4. Simple Living thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your responses. What, then, is the easiest way to save and convert WMV videos? I'm unemployed right now, so I can't purchase anymore software.

It's frustrating that QuickTime won't work at all without the Flip4Mac parts of it. I feel cheated. I bought QT, but for it to work as I need it to, I now have to buy more software? That's sneaky and dishonest, in my opinion.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I don't know what made you think Quicktime Pro had anything to do with Windows Media files. Not sneaky or dishonest in any way. WMV is crap IMO.

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

You could use ffmpegx, as long as there is not any DRM or whatever it should work. I don't use ffmpegx for wmv, but it apparently has the ability to convert it to AVi or MOV etc.

http://homepage.mac.com/major4/