Creating a backup of applications?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RenDog, Oct 28, 2010.

1. RenDog macrumors newbie

I have a 3 year old MacBook running OSX.4. The hard drive is failing so i've purchased a new drive to replace it. I've never installed a new drive before however i can see that it is very easy to replace.

My question is, how do i create a backup of my current applications? I'd rather not download all of the updates after i reinstall the OS. I have an external drive as well so i don't need to make a backup CD.

Is it as simple as copy the app's folder and paste it into my external, then the reverse after i reinstall the OS?

Thank you

2. ekidd macrumors newbie

Use your external drive and make a backup using time machine. After you install and format the new hard drive, restore using your time machine backup. Easy as cake :]

3. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

To complement ekidd's post; you will use Migration Assistant to restore your Time Machine Backup.

You can also use Carbone Copy Cloner which is even more straight forward, IMO.

4. RenDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the reply. Unfortunately i don't have Time Machine. My external is not an apple product. Is there a way around this or another way?

Thanks again!

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your external drive doesn't have to be an Apple drive. It just needs to be formatted for Mac OS X.

6. RenDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

But I still don't have time machine. Does my current os contain an app for creating a restore file that I can save on my external?
    Thanks again.

7. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

It's very strange that you don't have Time Machine on a 3 years old MB. It's normally in the default installation of OS X.