Creating a backup of iOS Lion Installation DVD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Bl0ckHe1d, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Bl0ckHe1d, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

A mac newbie here and learning the ropes!!

I have recently purchased an iMac 27" with iOS Lion pre-install. Having looked at the iclarified website with regards to boot camp for installing windows 7, seemingly you are required to insert the iOS Lion DVD after installing Windows 7 (step 24 http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2672).

Can anyone advise how to create an iOS Lion installation DVD?

2. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

iOS Lion? I've heard about iOS 5 and about OS X Lion, but this "iOS Lion" thing is new to me, and I bet it's unheard of even for the folks at Apple.

3. Bl0ckHe1d thread starter macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Hahaha thanks for pointing that one out for me Peter!! I did say I was new to the Mac world and obviously have a lot to learn!! :)

So any idea how to create an iOS X Lion installation DVD??!!

4. beaner454 macrumors regular

5. Bl0ckHe1d thread starter macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Many thanks for your link Beaner - however OS X Lion was pre-installed on the iMac and unfortunately the installer has been removed from the application folder (as part of an "auto-delete" I believe). The Mac App store won't allow me to re-download as OS X Lion is already installed!

Did I get the Lion part right this time?!

6. johnhurley, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Third times the charm ...

Here is one way to do it ( macworld hints ). Should work just fine for any apple system not just macbook pro or macbook air ( so ignore that part in the top of the article ).

That will get you a full 10.7.2 install DVD and/or flash drive bootable installer.

These forums are just chuck full of people asking the same darn question time after time so another alternative is to learn how to search these forums and/or use google search.

7. Bl0ckHe1d thread starter macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

I am a believer on the third times a charm!!

Big heaps of thank you John much appreciated :) I consider this case resolved!

I understand there are the alternative routes by searching the good old web however sometimes the searches return fruitless results, hence the reason for asking the gurus on Mac Rumours countless of times!! :eek:

8. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

With Lion, you can create a USB stick with the Bootcamp drivers. You don't need the install disc. Those instructions are out of date.

If you follow the instructions in the Bootcamp Assistant application, it'll work fine.

9. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Well sorry I just re-read your question.

The instructions/link that I gave you is the steps to create a Lion installation disk. One that would install the Mac operating system from scratch.

It sounds like what you are looking for instead though is the steps to create a windows 7 installation disk and also the windows 7 drivers. That's a whole different story.

The boot camp assistant will walk you through all of that stuff.

There are some pretty darn good youtube video's on how to do it as well as a bootcamp installation guide ( in pdf format ).

Those things also are discussed here repeatedly!

Just keep on backing up your current system. Use time machine and use it often so that you have somewhere to get back to in case you pooch kick your system by mistake.

----------

Ok after taking a quick look at those instructions they appear a little dated. Close to what you will do but off a little.

With a more recent bootcamp assistant it should also have a step early on where you burn the windows drivers to a usb flash drive or to a cd/dvd. That will be the disk ( or usb flash drive ) that you want to use in step 24.

It will put additional windows drivers for your mac hardware into windows. Drivers that the base windows 7 software probably does not include or different apple versions etc.

Sorry I should have looked at your reference earlier!

Logically still though you probably do want a real Lion OS installation disk but it may not help you on that step ( or I could be wrong and maybe it does actually include those drivers but don't think so any longer ).