creating a Blu-Ray playing Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZHH, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ZHH macrumors newbie

Well I was planning on buying a new MBP today, but I'm not buying a new laptop unless it has a Blu-Ray drive. So here is my question...there is a blu-ray drive available for the old 17" MBP from this company, if I were to buy that computer (the old 17" MBP), install that drive, install Vista via BootCamp, and AnyDVD HD (will reportatly playback a blu-ray disc even if the display isn't HDCP compliant according to this thread) I should be able to playback a Blu-Ray disc correct?

2. scott85213 macrumors member

The biggest problem with that is, that they could be different drive sizes.

3. ZHH thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it says it's for the MBP 17", which is the computer I would get, not one of the new MBPs that were released today.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, it'll work. AnyDVD HD removes both encryption and HDCP, so once installed, you can play your BR disc on your computer and even to an external display, such as a TV. You can also rip the contents of the BR disc to your hard drive, move it to a Mac volume and then play that on your Mac.

5. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Can you explain how to play high bitrate blu-ray on a mac? I'll save you the hassle, you can't! I hate being forced on to windows. We need a multithreaded decoder, my MP can't play it, just stuttering and frame drops.

:/

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Sorry, but I do it all the time on 2 gHz Mac Mini. Provided you remove the HDCP and decrypt the video, you can can play those ripped Blu-Ray discs using Plex, the best video playback software available for Macs, and enjoy both DD and DTS surround sound.