Creating a bootable disc with Disco

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dev2, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Dev2 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have an extra laptop from a mate. His Windows machine has come to that time that a reformat is needed. Luckily I have access to free Windows software (I'm a Computer Science student in Dublin and the university gives me free Microsoft software under my MSDN account) so I took on the task of doing it for him. I don't need Windows as I'm happy with OS X for now. We agreed that XP would be better than Vista, he needs RAM.

I have the ISO on my laptop (MacBook with Leopard), I want to burn it to a DVD and I have Disco burning software but I don't see any option to make the disc bootable. Do I need different software? I don't mind getting different software but I ask that its free. I'm broke at the moment.

Thanks if you can help me,
    Dev.

2. amersault macrumors member

hey there, Dev -

i think you can achieve the same thing w/ just Disk Utility.

let me preface this by saying this has worked for me while burning Linux ISO's and i haven't tried burning an XP file.

the way to do it is:

01 insert your CD(R)/DVD

02 open Disc Utility

03 select "Images" and then "Open"

04 find the ISO image you want to burn. it should then appear in the window on the left

05 select the ISO and click the "Burn" icon​

that should do it. and the Linux CD booted w/ no problem so it should work based on the same premise.

3. Dev2 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. amersault macrumors member