creating a Bootable DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cyphnar, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Cyphnar macrumors newbie

Hi,

bit of a long story but I need some help!

My brother is a windows user and as a gift i thought I'd get him an update to windows 7. I've bought the 32bit upgrade from software4students and selected digital download. Unfortunately it gives me a .exe download manager so i've downloaded the file on a windows pc and now transfered it back to mac as I'm trying to relearn how to do stuff the mac way (fairly new user :D ).

So i now have the following files on my mac:
    • windows 7 32bit imageas a .img file
    • windows boot image as a .00 file
    • Read me file
    and i want to make a bootable dvd.

Disk Utility will let me make a new image from my usb with the files on, which just seems to be creating a .cdr file of everything on the stick. I was looking at the dvd options and it will let me burn the .img file to a dvd but wont let me include the windows boot image...

Currently I'm creating a .cdr file of everything and then i'm going to burn that onto the DVD. This didn't work, it created a 16GB .cdr file as it captured all the empty space on my usb stick... Is this going to work? is there a more efficient way of creating this DVD on mac?

Thanks in advance,
    Cyphnar.

(if you do check the link I'd point out to uk students, lecturers and parent of students you can get office 2011 for mac for under £40GBP which is a two user licence!)

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you had a Windows machine available to download it, why didn't you burn it to a disk from there? That's going to be by far the easiest solution, I'd imagine.

jW

3. Cyphnar thread starter macrumors newbie

I was trying to this on mac for the just to see how to do it. I can do it under windows, but thought there must be a way to do this on a mac, if there's not that's fine I'll do it on windows.

Cyphnar.