Creating a Clock??

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Fritzables, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Fritzables macrumors regular

G'Day To All,

I want to write a logging utility to keep track of contacts I make using Ham radio using Xcode and supporting Mac.

The requirement will to have a digital clock placed in one of the panes. This is to read system time converted to UTC.

I am guessing I use NSDate as the object??

Lastly, I assume that code need to be written so that the clock I create stays in a loop so it continually updates. Typically, where would one place such a loop?

Pete

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Quickly before the final quarter of the AFL grand final starts.... :)

You can use either the trio of NSDate/NSCalendar/NSDateComponents or the duo of NSDate/NSDateFormatter depending on how you implements your clock view. See the Date and Time Programming Guide.

Running loops is an anti-pattern in event-driven programming like Cocoa. Instead use an NSTimer to invoke a method that updates the clock view at intervals. See the Timer Programming Topics.

3. Fritzables thread starter macrumors regular

G'Day Jimi,

Just catching the end of it now - I heard that it was a pretty close game. Eddie doesn't look happy so I guess Geelong won.

As long as Manly get their arsses kicked tomorrow.... that's all that matters !!

Thanks for the assistance.

Pete