Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evillageprowler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
NJ, USA
Hi,

My iTunes volume is a 1TB mirrored RAID volume that is approaching full capacity. I need to figure out how to extend my storage, for now and for the future as well.

I considered getting the HP EX495 media server, but that won't allow me to extend volumes using any sort of RAID or LVM method.

I am trying to see if I can create a concatenated RAID volume that is made up of multiple mirrored RAID volumes. In Disk Utility, it isn't clear to me if this is possible. (In the process of trying, I degraded my iTunes volume and now it is rebuilding. I don't know if the rebuilding process is disallowing me to be able to enable more RAID volumes, but currently I seem to have locked out my ability to create+enable more RAID devices.

My third option is to mount my iTunes volume from a Linux box. With a Linux box, I can easily get what I want using LVM. However, this is a network mount and I prefer a self-contained solution. My network at home is GigE, so it'll be ok performance-wise.

My current Mac is a new-model Mini, and my external drives are the Mini look-alike drives from Iomega. So, elegance is a consideration for me.

Comments, recommendations?

TIA,

EVP

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.