Creating a disk image with a very long iDVD project

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jotade11, Oct 21, 2010.

1. jotade11 macrumors regular

Hello all,
    I posted the following over in the Basic Help forum, but thought I might also be able to get an answer here. Does anyone know?
    I am trying to export a very long iDVD project to a disc image on my MBP, but it is telling me the project has too long a duration, and it gives me a summary of all the durations of various elements (ie. menus, movies, slideshows). I know this message is of course relevant when burning to a DVD, but shouldn't a disk image be only limited by hard drive space? Can I get around this error?

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are not a newbie here. You should know that it is a breach of etiquette to double-post or to create multiple threads on the same subject.

3. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Sounds like a "no". Can you try telling iDVD it's for a dual layer project?

4. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

How long?

5. jotade11 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a collection of almost 6 hours of video that I'm trying to burn to the disk image. It just doesn't make sense that you have a limited amount of space for a disk IMAGE... Thanks also for the dual-layer tip, but yes I do.

Thanks!

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

When I looked at making an image of a project that would require a dual layer disc, I got a message saying that there can be problems when trying to subsequently burn the image to disc.

7. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

I think that's your problem. iDVD has a couple of compression presets and none of them will result in being able to burn a 6 hour DVD ... so that means it probably won't let you create one either.

Toast could help you out, but only for assembling the videos into a collection without iDVD's nifty menu- and chapter-creating abilities.

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You will need to split your project. At the most you can get about 90 minutes of video onto a single layer disc and about 3 hours onto a dual layer disc.