Creating a disk image

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jent, Jan 2, 2011.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

I have some files that I occasionally send to my family members. The thing is, because they contain sensitive information (finance records, sometimes they're family videos), I don't like just uploading it to my iDisk.

What I've been doing is going into Disk Utility, creating a password-protected disk image, then zipping up that file. It's a few layers of security, and the 128-bit encryption seems good. The thing is, I'm not sure what settings to use.

Here's a screenshot of the window that comes up when creating a new disk image. What options should I choose from here? I can do a Get Info on all of the files I'm putting in the disk image, but it would be easier to have it auto-fit whatever I put in, eliminating any unused space. I'm not sure of what to put for Format, Partitions, and Image Format, and I'm surprised that I have to choose a size since I've heard there's a way to have it automatically fit the files.

Is there a way to select my files/folders in the Finder and have a disk image created from the selection?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You have to create the disk image with whatever settings you want. And then convert that disk image to a compressed dmg before sending it (the Convert button next to New Image).

You may be thinking of a sparse image, which only takes up as much space as the contents inside it. Even it has a minimum unless it is compacted (10MB I think).

So either way, sparse or dmg, if the files you are putting in take up very little space, you will want to compact it.