Creating a DVD Slideshow with iPhoto or iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by someone28624, Oct 2, 2008.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

My whole family is going on a trip together. It's kinda a once-in-a-lifetime type trip, to celebrate many milestones in my family members' lives. I'd like to compile all the photos from the trip and make DVDs of them for my family members. Ideally, I'd like to create a DVD that can be put in a DVD player and played, or put in a computer and the photos on it can be retrieved off the DVD for editing, ordering prints, etc. Is this possible with iDVD or iPhoto?

2. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if such a slideshow DVD will let the user pull the pics off of it?

Or know of a program that does this (and is preferably free)?

3. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Sure, its easy! After you have your photos imported into iPhoto, create your slideshows, adding music as you wish. I create them using my smart albums. Then there is an option to export to iDVD (sorry, not at the mac right now, so can't tell you exactly where the commands are, but look around on the toolbar). Then open iDVD, pick your template and import the slideshows. When you are ready to burn, there is an option to add the photo files to the disk. Works like a charm! I've done this with all my old family photos and given them to my sons and cousins and they are delighted!

I usually burn the first copy and test it out in my DVD player to make sure the titles, etc. show up. You can choose what format you want - 16X9, etc. Probably the most compatible is the "current format" or whatever it says. Then it should work regardless of what type of television screen the individual has. After I am make whatever changes I think I need to the formatting, template, etc. and I am satisfied, I burn the copies to give away.

Have fun! Experiment! It's a great joy to be able to do this and your family will love it!

4. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome Skybolt, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!