Creating a Forum?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by prodigee, Jan 10, 2010.

1. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Me and a few friends want to create a forum for the eastern connecticut auto scene, and dont really know where to start. So any advice on what programs to use, etc, would be quite helpful.

Thanks,

Kielan

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Buy a VBulletin license. It's really the best way.

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Buy a vB License like jessica. said, or get phpbb, which is free

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

SMF is cool, and easy, and free. I've set up several. Have fun. :)

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Start a Google group or something. Spending time setting up a major forum system like vB or phpBB for just a few people is a waste of time and money.

6. dumfweaver macrumors newbie

Have you had a look at ning.com or socialgo.com ?

If you're looking for a visually friendly social network forum both are free.

7. addaminsane macrumors member

addaminsane

learn joomla, its a free open source cms (content management system) that has forum integration. that way you can easily have a forum and website all in one.

joomla.org - joomla cms
    kunena.com - great joomla forum add on

8. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

you can start with some free software such as phpbb on shared hosting. if the forums grow big, you can always buy a vbulletin license later and transfer the accounts over. you'd probably need some knowledge of php and mysql, along with basic web design to be able to maintain the site, and fix problems when necessary. also site promotion would be important to get people to join. facebook groups might be useful for that.

9. star-fish macrumors regular

Seconding the phpBB to start with. If it gets popular, you can always buy a VB licence and import everything over.

Whichever option you choose, make sure it can be transferred over to big players like vBulletin, because if you do decide to upgrade it will be less hassle.

Also worth nothing that VBulletin can become a very expensive system to run. I had about 1500 members on my forum and my host complained a lot about the resources it was consuming.

10. three macrumors 6502a

three

Buy an IPB license, buy good hosting (Bluehost, Dreamhost, etc) and go from there.