Creating a Fusion Drive in a Fusion iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by coldsweat, Mar 3, 2015.

1. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

I have a late 2012 27" iMac with an official 3tb Fusion drive inside. Recently the HD failed & it was sent into an Apple service centre which replaced the 3TB drive, but forgot to 're-bond' the 2 parts of the fusion drive together.

The Apple service centre have said they'd fix it & re-bond the 2 drives together to make the Fusion Drive however I'd need to make 2 round trips of 100 miles & leave it with them for a few days + I'm really busy with work & can't spare the machine for that long (its currently running fine on only the Spinning HD).

Does anyone know the CORRECT way to re-bond the 2 HD's under the latest build of Yosemite (apparently the 'old' core storage method stated on the interwebs no longer works), or should I just take the hit, lose a few days of work & a lot of Deisel & get them to fix it????

Thanks Guys!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Make a time Machine Backup to a locally attached (USB) drive so we can use that to restore, then run the command below in Terminal and tell me the output.

With that info I can tell you how to blow off the existing volumes and get the Fusion back.

Code:
    diskutil cs list

3. TheMacNinja macrumors newbie

TheMacNinja

Did you have a back up of all your data before the 3TB drive went bad and was replaced?

I would absolutely be on the phone with Apple corporate as this was a very negligent mistake on their part not to ensure that the Fusion logic was re-created prior to sending you off...especially considering the resources in travel alone.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Once the OP creates his backup as you suggested, can't he also simply open the "Recovery / Disk Utility" and it will re-fusion the drives for him? Then restore from the backup.

5. TheMacNinja macrumors newbie

TheMacNinja

I could be mistaken, but I believe that because the logic has been broken (replaced part) that new logic must be manually created. However, we need to see diskutil..

6. coldsweat thread starter macrumors 6502

coldsweat

Thanks for the responses guys!

I bit the bullet & made the trip earlier today & the Apple repair centre fixed it on the spot (took an hour), so all's well again - thanks for you help anyway guys!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If the drive (Fusion) is broken and there are no volumes, it will popup and offer to fix the Fusion, but it sounds like he has working volumes on there so the popup won't happen.

I was going to give him the commands to blow off the volumes on there, then Disk Util would offer to fix the Fusion.

8. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Thanks, that's good to know. I always just manually create the Fusion drives in terminal and have never tried the automatic repair often talked about (or cursed) on here.

Sounds like Apple fixed him up OK however ...