Resolved Creating a hand from the grave graveyard scene

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by patinageartist, Apr 23, 2013.

1. patinageartist, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

patinageartist macrumors newbie

Goodmorning everyone,

In a couple of weeks I'm participating in a short film festival. The story is basically finished and we'll start filming next week. However, there is one scene that leaves me mildly desperate. In the film we'll do a hand-from-the-grave-grabs-hold-of-someone's-arm-scene (I know, it's been done a million times, but I think it'll work well in the story).

As far as I can tell, it really involves burying someone in a box under a thin layer of dirt (so that's my first question, are there alternatives to actually digging a hole somewhere and stuffing somebody in there?)

If digging a hole is necessary, I was thinking of filming a grave yard but shooting the actual scene somewhere else (because I doubt we would be allowed to play around in the actual graveyard) and somehow insert that little patch of dirt in the graveyard footage, but I'm afraid I will not be able to make it blend together. Also, I thought of just making a fake grave somewhere, but then how do you make people believe that one grave is actually located in a graveyard?

In short, who has any ideas to make a kick-ass, pee your pants, hand from the grave, graveyard scene? I use Vegas Pro 8 for editing.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

Could you film a graveyard, then film the arm coming out of a box full of dirt or something, but use green material for the box and surrounding area, then insert it into the graveyard scene?

3. musique macrumors regular

musique

I think one possible part of a two-location solution is to get the set-up as exact as possible.

For example, once you find a usable graveyard, try to locate one grave that has a gravestone that you can duplicate at your other location. It doesn't have to be the entire stone, perhaps just the base of the stone. If it has a smooth base or platform you might be able to duplicate that on your controlled set. If there's no stone, then maybe a prop (like a bunch of flowers or even a few twigs) that's next to the grave will give the viewer clues that it's the same place.

The more difficult thing will probably be getting the lighting as similar as possible. Shadows, perhaps from another gravestone or a tree, should be photographed so that they are duplicated precisely on your set.

Good luck.

4. daybreak macrumors 6502a

This is a question of camera work and planning a shooting sequence.
    It is a very simple task.
    1. Far shoot of grave with person.
    2. If you cant film in graveyard use a garden.
    3. Place camera on ground with person who is coming up from grave. Lay him down and cover his hand with dirt. (Also whole arm)
    4. Do test.
    5. Then show hand coming up.
    6. Camera above other persons head.
    7. Cover person with sand. (Just his Body) and then show him grab other person.
    That is how i would do it roughly. Better if one could talk to you how to do it.
    Are you on Facebook?
    It is very simple to do but you need to know the camera set up for each shoot.

5. patinageartist thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, this is all so exiting. Makes me think I'll actually be able to pull it off! Thank you so much!

Daybreak: I do have FB, but I cannot find how to PM it to you.

6. daybreak macrumors 6502a

What does PM mean?. It would mean we need to exchange private information. Which i would be willing to do. If so do you have a web-cam so we can talk on facebook? Or skype.?
    Then i could explain in easy term how to do the shoot.

7. patinageartist thread starter macrumors newbie

PM = private message, so I can send you my details. But I saw in the FAQ that new members (which I obviously am) cannot send them. You're not a new member, so maybe you could send me an email and I'll send you my details in a reply.