creating a home network with the Apple Extreme questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by loneshark, Apr 14, 2009.

1. loneshark macrumors member

so I have the AE in the living room, and Id like to run some Cat 5 from the AE to the office and also to my bedroom.

Im not to savy on how Cat5 can be split with couplers.

If I ran one cable from 1 of the 3 ports on the AE into the wall, under the house, and into my bedroom, can i splice into it midway along the cable and run another wire into the office ?? will the AE allow 2 computers to be connected to one port?

port 2 of the AE goes to the XBOX 360 and

port 3 goes to the printer in the living room where the modem is.

2. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I would put the airport in the living room with the printer and modem.

Connect the modem via WAN port. Printer via USB.

Then you have 3 Ethernet ports to use where you please. I believe the extreme will only allow one client for each ethernet port (without an additional router).

Can't the XBOX 360 connect wirelessly to the network? (I have a PS3 and Wii, and know that they can).

Another more expensive option is to add airport expresses to the network, saves running cables - plus you can extend your wireless all over the house.

3. loneshark thread starter macrumors member

yes thats where the printer and modem are.

yup the modem is connectd to the WAN, and oh yea, forgot the printer connects via USB.

but does that mean I have to run 2 wires under the house from the AE (one to each room??)

well to be more specific, we have 2 xbox360's. one in the living room, and one in my room. the one in my room is connected to an Apple Time Capsule, which is setup to "extend an existing network" so it is extending the AE in the living room... the problem is that when the xbox in my bedroom is hosting a game, it lags out pretty bad for all the other players, but when Im not magically designated as a host by xbox LIVE, the connection is perfect. thats why im trying to run hard lines to each room.

yup already doing that now as stated above, but im having issues. plus, the terabyte Time Machine that is connected to the xbox in my room, has alot of quicktime video, that is a pain to work with wireless, Id rather have a direct ethernet connection to the TM when editing video. and right now since its being used as an extension of a network its kind of "bolted down" per say in the bedroom.

I was doing alot of disconnecting and moving the TM, from bedroom to office to work, and I just dont want to keep moving and disconnecting it all the time, you know.

so If your correct, I guess there is now way to split one of the ports to provide access to 2 rooms/clents.

I mean there is no problem with me running 2 cables into the wall and under the house, just seems kinds of inadequate. shouldnt a hub of some sorts work ?? AE to hub, hub to office comp, hub to xbox in bedroom ?

luckily the house is built on a raised foundation, so i have to opportunity to run lines under the floor in the crawl space and do a nice job in each room with wall box jacks so it looks clean.

just need to know if 2 clients can run off one port.

4. prelude9569 macrumors newbie

try a ethernet switch??

not 100% sure about splicing the wire into two. but it sounds like you could use a gigabit switch to accomplish this perhaps?

5. Undecided macrumors 6502a

Yes, that is what a switch is for. Think of it like a powerstrip, but for ethernet.

(Not to be confused with a router or hub...)

6. loneshark thread starter macrumors member

so where should i put the switch ? in the office ? AE to switch, switch to office comp, switch to bedroom xbox360 ? ?? ? ?

is this sure to work on the AE ? thanks again for the input ppl.

7. brentsg macrumors 68030

A switch can be placed wherever you wish for convenience. It adds no logic to the process except to pass traffic where it needs to go.