Creating a leaderboard application

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by appdevem, Jan 25, 2011.

1. appdevem macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am a beginner and have just recently started programing. I was hoping to get some help, I want to create a leader board application that will run on mac osx, which displays the current position of a contestant. If his score changes (due to data input) his position at theleader board changes. How do i do that?

Ideally i would like place where to input a name and data.

thank you

2. lloyddean, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

lloyddean macrumors 6502a

You've asked a question (terse though it is), one of many to come. Prepare for a journey covering many subjects and several years.

Or do you actually mean ranking instead of position?

3. subsonix macrumors 68040

First of all you need to define much more exactly what it is you want to do.

For example:

Will it have a GUI?

How will the position be displayed, numerically or graphically?

Where does the data come from? Internet? GPS? User input? etc.

Break down what the application actually does into small manageable problems. Then you take on, and solve one problem after the other, read up on the information you need as you go.

4. appdevem thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically I wan to be able to input several contestants name followed by their time for 4 or 5 different categories. Ranks would be displayed on a visual table of some sort listing their name, and time for the each category. Therefore it would be GUI and the data input would come from the user.

It could be done on excel but I would like for it to be more visual appealing since it will be projected on to a screen while the contestant compete. Also there will be 30+ constants so fast data input would be ideal to display ranks immediately.

5. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Ah, ranking of a player and not its position. Much easier than position!

This seems like it requires multiple displays. One for the data entry and another for displaying the result.

6. appdevem thread starter macrumors newbie

im sorry yes, position as far as its rank on the leader board. (1st, 2nd, etc)

7. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

So, the next question - do you really wish to learn to program at the same time you implement your Leader Board or is the solution itself the real goal?

If you wish to provide a solution with minimal programming I'd suggest looking into a higher level programming tool. Perhaps Quartz Composer which is installed with Xcode.

8. appdevem thread starter macrumors newbie

Well considering I am on a time crunch and I'm a beginner the faster i manage to build this the better for now.

9. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Ah, so in truth you're seeking either a shortcut to the making, of, or a ready built solution!

10. appdevem thread starter macrumors newbie

no im looking for help on how to go about starting one.

11. chown33 macrumors 604

What is your deadline?

12. appdevem thread starter macrumors newbie

13. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

I still recommend checking out the Quartz Composer application. As well as the example section of www.quartzcompositions.com.

You'll of course need to've installed Apple Xcode first. Although some of the example will come up within Safari.

14. subsonix macrumors 68040

You will need a backend that handles data and sorts it. That is probably the easiest part, just store the data in a data structure, sort it, display.

If you want to do this in cocoa, you would probably start in interface builder and using a table view, the back end logic would be essentially the same.

I agree with lloydean that you would need two displays, one for input and one for displaying the results. Have a look at Kiosk Mode programming on how to get full screen here: http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/KioskMode/Introduction/Introduction.html

As mentioned, Quartz Composer might be an alternative to doing the display part manually. Just hit: ⌘ Space, and type Quartz Composer

You will be asked to select a template, choose "Getting Started" instead to find learning material.

Also, when is the deadline?

15. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Two posts up!

16. subsonix macrumors 68040

:mad:

17. appdevem thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the help so far! Im currently looking into quartz and messing around with interface. :eek:

18. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Read again - Quartz Composer!

It's an application in the '/Developer/Applications' folder once Xcode has been installed.

19. appdevem thread starter macrumors newbie

Quartz Composer! is what I intended to say :) I found it and I'm trying some of the samples.

20. appdevem thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a good place to find out what each text field connections does and how to use them on interface builder?

21. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Use the "Google" to search for tutorial sites.

I must say "I" don't think you have much of chance of getting something useful within a week no matter how you go about it. I do think your best chance is with Quartz Composer but you'll need to search for tutorial sites.

Perhaps a new discussion thread here on MacRumors!