Creating a Mobile Site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Doju, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

How would I go about creating a second version of my site for mobile users? Like www.forums.macrumors.com/wap/index.php, or i.engadget.com?

Is it a very difficult task? Perhaps link to some tutorials/explain yourself please? Thanks!

2. angelneo macrumors 68000

What kind of devices are you targeting? At least a xhtml compliant device? or just iphone? There are tons of mobile devices out there that can serve html pages to their users.

It is not that difficult except in the case if you want to cover as many devices as possible. There are stuff like getting hold of devices to test (I think there are mobile phone labs which allow you to do that), layout according to the dimensions of each devices (or rather make sure they don't break on certain dimensions), work out the quirks for different devices etc. Some sites adopt xslt/xml format where it will be a lot simpler dealing with multiple devices, some have the backend detect the devices and serve accordingly so on etc.

Most of these newer devices can support basically xhtml/mobile pages, if you are proficient in html, it wouldn't be a problem.