Creating a New Account For My Mac ???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by musicworld, Feb 1, 2012.

1. musicworld macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a Macbook 5.1 OS-X Leopard 10.5. and I'm having great difficulty renaming files and folders. A window pops up every time confirming i dont have sufficient access privileges, i also need to tap in the password each time to delete a file, how do i solve this. I double clicked the file > get info > unlocked icon and selected me as user to read an write but still no change.

I further went in to system preferences > my account > password > unlocked the icon but found the (Allow user to administer this computer) was not highlighted no option to check the box, only parental controls could be used.

This is my personal computer i bought it brand new from the store no one has ever had access to it apart from one other person who had an account but who has long since been signed off, I'm the only valid user.

To solve the issue would i need to create a new account?

Thanks.

2. Android300zx macrumors regular

1. Reboot
    2. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.
    3. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
    * mount -uw /
    * rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
    * shutdown -h now
    4. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you’re good to go again!

***Note***

When entering the commands in Terminal don't type the asteriks (*). Make sure you also get the spacing right when doing the commands.

Also make sure you back up your things.

Once it fully boots after entering those commands go back into System Preferences, User Accounts and delete the old account. This will solve the issue with the previous user's settings being on there. It also gives you a fresh start. The deleting part may take a little while so don't panic if it's still deleting the other user account. Make sure you laptop doesn't die during the process either so plug it in just to be safe.

Your welcome : )

3. musicworld, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

musicworld thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent, complied with all you said, i now have a new user account with no issues.

Best
    Musicworld