Creating a new SMS from iMessage

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bbplayer5, Oct 20, 2014.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Each time I try to start a conversation with someone NOT using an iPhone, it tries to send them an iMessage. It gives me an error saying this number isn't activated for iMessage, and fails.

If I start the conversation from my PHONE first, it syncs fine, and I can continue to participate in the conversation.

Why can't I start an SMS conversation from iMessage on my mac? Why is it always trying to iMessage people who don't even have iPhones?

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I sent a text just fine to a non-iphone user on yosemite's imessage

when I sent first text it asked me to turn on sms relay did you get this?

3. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, its on. It works if I send a normal SMS from my phone first. I cant send an SMS to start a conversation from Yosemite.

Phone number is not registered with iMessage - is the error.

4. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I have the exact same issue. Finding Yosemite quite frustrating.

5. ttmrn macrumors regular

weird... i have no such problems.

As soon as Message app figures it's not an iMessage email/number, it just turns green.

6. fortheus macrumors regular

Make sure the iCloud email address is active in both device

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

i had to sign out of icloud on phone and mac then re-sign in on devices before hand off or continuity would work

8. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

I erased the iCloud account completely in the settings / internet accounts app. Erased anything dealing with iMessage in the keychain. Rebooted, added the account back, and it worked!

9. tonixity macrumors newbie

You cannot send SMS with Messages on your Mac because they are not "supported". The only way you will enjoy the text sync between your iPhone and your Mac/Ipad is your correspondent to have an Apple Id.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

With iOS 8.1 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite, this is incorrect. With these two operating systems, SMS syncs between devices just as iMessage does.

11. fortheus macrumors regular

Unfortunately not. For sending out sms from Mac, iCloud email id must be active on both devices

12. chrfr macrumors 603

The person I was replying to was saying that you cannot send SMS messages to a telephone number from your Mac, which is incorrect. It does appear that the OP is experiencing some sort of bug, which is not uncommon with this setup, from what I have experienced myself.