Creating a partitian for Windows (via Disk Utility)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ColourCrisis, Dec 26, 2011.

1. ColourCrisis macrumors newbie

Hi,

I installed windows 7 to a USB. But I keep getting "missing operating system" on boot...

I think this is a partitian fault, because on Lion the Boot Camp assistant didn't ask me to partitian the drive.

So I want to do it manually.

Can someone tell me how I can manually partician 20GB for a Windows 7 OS?
    and what format?? Free space? or MS-DOS (FAT) ?

Thanks!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. simsaladimbamba

Windows can't be easily booted from an external device, if "USB" alludes to a USB flash memory thumb drive or external HDD connected via USB.
    There may be a workaround, use the www search engine of your choice to maybe found a guide or two.
    For partitioning your internal HDD for Windows use, you need to use Boot Camp Assistant, not Disk Utility.

4. ColourCrisis thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, using microsoft's usb backup tool.

I did it all from a youtube tutorial, but I just got a "missing operating system". I think the reason why is because the guy in the video was using Leopard, and i'm on a Lion... Bootcamp has since changed.

Bootcamp assistant didn't prompt me to partition... so that's why i'm asking how to do it via Disk Utility...

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Link please.

B

6. ColourCrisis thread starter macrumors newbie

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thanks. Installing with/from a USB drive vs. installing to a USB drive. One works (sometimes) the other much more rarely.

Unfortunately not all Macs will boot the W7 installer this way. Which specific model is your Mac?

B

8. ColourCrisis thread starter macrumors newbie

2011 Macbook pro 15"

I think you might be right about this... the person on the video was using a MBA.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

10. ColourCrisis thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I reformat my USB, and paste the windows 7 ISO? do you think it will boot that way?