creating a partition on a drive that already has stuff on it

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mrgreeneyes, Dec 14, 2009.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

hi,

i have an external drive that is formatted to FAT 32 and it s full of files, too much to copy to my mac or to another drive, and what i need is to make a mac formatted partition on the same drive to that i can transfer files that are bigger then 4GB to the drive.

how can i do that?

thanks

2. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

you say that the external drive is full. where do you intend to create this new partition if it is full already? it cannot be done.

3. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry my mistake, i meant to say that that drive is almost full. the drive is 1TB

4. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

how much free space do you have left?

what you can do is take files that may fit onto your mac to free up a bit more space.

use disk utility to add a partition.

Disk Utility > click on your drive > click partition tab, click the Plus symbol at the bottom, click on the newly made partition, select options make sure its selected as GUID instead of MS-DOS.
    then transfers increments over. then erase them from the fat32 partition, and you can add additional smaller HFS+ partitions or may be able to extend the current one.

the best bet is trying to get a new drive and just copying all over in one lump sump.

5. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

Which drive is full or almost full? the external drive? you need to explain your situation must more clearly if you expect reasonable responses.