Creating a primary partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by weg, Nov 16, 2009.

1. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Hi,

I'm unable to find out how I can create a primary partition on a USB stick using OS X (I could just go to my Windows or Linux machine and do it there, but it just annoys the hell out of me that I haven't been able to figure out how to do it on my Mac so far).

I want to make one partition of the USB stick bootable (to keep a Windows 7 installation CD image on it) and use the rest of the USB stick for a data partition, but while the Disk utility allows me to generate two paritions, I can't find a setting that allows me to specify that one of them is primary.

2. weg thread starter macrumors 6502a

weg

3. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

That's great. Now all you have to do is get Windows (any version) to recognize that you have two partitions on the flash drive. :D

Especially since Windows will only "see" the first partition on the flash drive and not the second or any others..... :eek:

Regards.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Disk Utility can do most of that, except format the partition to NTFS which I imagine is necessary for Win 7; which would be the most important part in this situation. :p