Creating a promo video for startup company

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by theTechnician, Mar 16, 2009.

1. theTechnician macrumors member

I was hired by a small business owned by a friend of a friend that wants me to shoot, edit, and produce a HD video in final cut pro with a few motion graphics for her to use at trade shows. I will be filming the product and using still images provided by her. The video will highlight the product and will have some background music accompanying it and graphics too.

Now, this is the first time doing something like this and she insisted that she pay me. But, how much would you guys suggest that I ask for? I need to tell her a (reasonable) price.

Thanks in advance!

2. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

If she likes it 2000-5000 if she isn't happy or its late 1500 min.

I charge 100 an hour and Im not even a pro. (Yet)

3. theTechnician thread starter macrumors member

What kind of work do you do? What projects have you produced?

Also, I was thinking this video would be a 2 minute or so video that will be played on loop.

4. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

What kind of work do you do? What projects have you produced?

Also, I was thinking this video would be a 2 minute or so video that will be played on loop.[/QUOTE]

I do just plain, "you want this shot and edited for a party/celebration/ceremony?" I also do some specialty stuff. I haven't worked on any products, just stuff for people. Im still in High School so I can't really do much in terms of real work.

5. goramsey macrumors newbie

Still in high school

I do just plain, "you want this shot and edited for a party/celebration/ceremony?" I also do some specialty stuff. I haven't worked on any products, just stuff for people. Im still in High School so I can't really do much in terms of real work.[/QUOTE]

Since you are still in high school, I would use this as a great opportunity to learn the craft. I would suggest a low price say $ 500 to $ 700. Which is probably what she is thinking since you are still in school. Who knows, she might be thinking less. Whatever-just as long as you get the chance to learn. I have found that you learn real quick when faced with a commercial project. No screwing around. It is your career that your looking at. Great time to shoot a nice portfolio piece.

Good luck.

Gary

6. djkirsten macrumors regular

I am a pro...and i would freelance for $450 a day to a friend (includes all equipment....and the day could range from 8 hours of digitizing, 8 hours of hard work, to 8 hours of whatever....rendering in FCP, rendering in after effects, building stuff in photoshop...whatever). But if it was a "client" and not a friend i'd do maybe around $600 a day with all equipment.

Sorry to say it but $100 an hour works if you live in L.A. but not many other places...maybe wedding packages.

And Macpropro80 what do you do and where do you live that people pay you (a high school kid) $100 an hour for video work? When i was in high school (im 23 now and working as a full time editor at a post house in colorado) i'd do wedding videos for $100 a pop (client brings me footage and pics, i'd scan all pics, photoshop them for a quick image color correction, and spend at least a weekend doing it) so i'm wondering how busy you stay at that rate?

Like i said $100 an hour is an alright editor in L.A. or N.Y. or a REALLY GOOD senior editor anywhere else.