Creating a proxy site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by LewisB, Oct 12, 2008.

1. LewisB macrumors member

Hi guys,

Could someone point me in the right direction on creating a proxy website? This is what I want to be able to do...

I want to create a site like http://www.apesafe.com/ for my own personal use while im at work etc...

Can it be done? I would want to use my internet at home while im at work etc... I dont want to use remote desktop software. I just want it exactly like where it brings up a webpage with an address form and a go button

2. Mitou macrumors regular

Would you tell me if I am correct in understanding this?
    With such a site a student can access facebook to which the school administration may have blocked access through their network?
    Thanks to help me understand.

3. LewisB thread starter macrumors member

4. Mitou macrumors regular

oh boy I know a lot of educators who won't like that. It is hard enough keeping the kids on task. Now there are sites that give them ways to break the rules and the security we put in place.
    Thanks for the information.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

On one side, the IT people at the schools and businesses can block those proxy servers, but on the other side, the IT people at schools tend not to have top notch IT people who think about these things. The blocks are in place for a reason. If you can't work out a reasoning with your work place or school to have something unblocked, then stop trying to get around the system. You're not only putting yourself at risk, but everyone on that network. Is it really worth losing your job, just so you can add a friend on stupid Facebook? Oh, and as far as those proxy sites saying they can keep your browsing private, total bull. Your work place can track it to you no matter what, trust me I read about web security and know the ways to do it.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

http://www.proxybuilder.com

Easy as pie.

edit: oh, not sure if this is the type of proxy you want. Anyway, it might be an alternative even if it's not what you were thinking about initially.

7. memco macrumors 6502

If you have a computer at home and Leopard installed on both computers the easiest way to do proxy is through screen sharing. The problem with website proxy sites, as mentioned, is that those can be blocked just as easily as the site that you're trying to access.

8. Mitou macrumors regular

Thanks for the additional information. I feel a little better. Our IT guy is pretty good but I am not sure he has never thought about proxy sites. I will have to tell him so that he may block them as well. We have most of the "undesirable sites" covered but it is a struggle with teenagers who are always a step ahead of us.