Creating a restore image

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AdamL, Jun 13, 2007.

1. AdamL macrumors member

Hello. I have two partitions on the hard drive of my Mac Book Pro. I have my music on one and Mac OS X on the other. I want to format it and create a single disk and restore Mac OS X to how it currently is. I have my music on my other computer so I can get that from their. I'm a little confused as to how to do this after looking through help in Disk Utility. If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, you could use an app like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone of your current system partition. However, all you really need to do is make a backup of your Home folder and any other users on the machine. Then, if necessary, back up your apps too. :)

3. AdamL thread starter macrumors member

Will backing up just the apps folder completely back up the apps I have? What about the application support folder in the library. Wouldn't that effect it?

Sorry. I'm still fairly new to Mac. I'm trying to understand it better.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it might be a good idea to back that folder up too. On the other hand, I'd reinstall the apps manually from their various sources to ensure they'll work correctly. There's no real reason why you can't just back them up and then drag them across to the new install, but it just feels cleaner doing it manually and for me it doesn't take terribly long. Of course, if you have a tonne of apps then this mightn't be the best option. :)