Creating a retro vocal sound - plug ins?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Paul Ashton, May 18, 2009.

1. Paul Ashton macrumors newbie

Paul Ashton

I am working on a recording and want to make the vocal sound like a late 50's jazz vocal. Think Dinah Washington, Nina Simone. The recording at the moment sounds too perfect ('cos it is!)

Not really sure what makes up this retro sound; frequency range, EQ I guess, as well as the usual compression and reverb?

I used one standard Apple AU to limit the frequency range, and from memory centred it on about 6300Hz - it's a female vocal (alto). Making that range too extreme got a good imitation of a megaphone - not quite the effect I wanted :eek: but will remember that for the future.

I really don't think I can achieve it with the standard AUs I have. Not sure if I should be looking Mic Modelling, digital "tube" pre-amp AU's. Can anyone suggest some tools to look at. Free AU's are always very nice but I am also willing to to spend on some AU's say upto $200.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what do you mean it's "perfect?"

i would think that you could EQ your way to something reasonable. if you go here:

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/AEA/R44C

... and under Pickup Patterns, click on the Chart button, you can see the frequency response chart of an RCA 44 ribbon mic, which, if you configure your EQ/EQs to match, may get you closer to what you want.

3. Paul Ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

Paul Ashton

Thanks - that is a brilliant suggestion. I will try that today.
    If I get that to work, I will set up some pre-sets for different mic emulations. (running before walking again!)

I still think I need something to put some pre-amp tone. I am on the look out for an external tube pre-amp that I can afford in the mean time some best effort emulation warmth of a pre-amp plug-in would be good.

The "perfect" line was a joke, the AKG studio mic while giving an excellent faithfully clear recording has of course picked up all the vocal track faults - in this case mouth opening and breathing before phrases. I have dealt with these through detailed manual editing on the automation track

4. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Try mic'ing the singer a bit further away. Those 50s jazz recordings were not about close-mic'ing.

5. CalumC macrumors regular

I'd give the psp vintage warmer a go, ive used it recently on things and i rekon that you could tweak it to your needs

6. Paul Ashton thread starter macrumors newbie

Paul Ashton

Teej - thanks on that tip, that will have to be next time as this recording is in the can. But now you said that I did try some changed reverb setting at the start of the chain, very slight - small room. Sort of removed some of the original closeness. As someone else said to me, it is easier to record it right than to use technology and many hours to fix.

I have totally taken off the frequency limitation that I first set and looked at the EQ - can't say I have modelled that RCA mic yet.

PSP - looked at their catalogue and instantly wanted the whole lot however, trying to be sensible, will try the demos. Thought the PSPsQuad looked interesting too.