iPhone Creating a ROM disk image of iOS???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by naystcb, Feb 11, 2013.

1. naystcb macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this site and forums and this is my first post, I am glad to be here.
    I converted to the iPhone back in June of last year after my frustrations with Android devices and their constant freezes and crashes drove me away. I could not be happier now that I am the proud owner of an iPhone and future owner of many more iDevices and eventually a Mac.

I am a noob when it comes to Apple devices and have minimal experience with hacking and jailbreaking these devices. Furthermore, I do not have any experience with using Macs or their OS and have no experience with Linux either. I have jailbroken my device using evasi0n and love it but am unhappy with the currently available methods of backup for my jailbroken phone. When I had my Android device the one thing that I truly liked about it was that once I had rooted the device and installed all the customs apps and tweaks that I wanted I could make a Nandroid Backup(or ROM disk image) of my device with all of the custom tweaks and apps. This would allow me to reflash the ROM image back onto the phone should something catastrophic happen that caused the phone to not operate properly.

Therefore I have come here in search of an answer to the following question and would greatly appreciate any feedback or advice that would point me in the right direction towards a solution to my question.

I would like to know if it is possible to make an exact copy of my iOS just the way it is now, a ROM disk image, that I can use as a backup that I can reflash onto my iPhone should I tweak something a little too much that causes my phone to not work properly or freeze up completely? If there is a way to do this could someone please tell me how to go about doing this, what is required and what do I need besides the iPhone and the lightning usb cable?

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems that this should be possible to do with an Apple phone if you can do it with an Android phone. It also seems, in my opinion, to be an easier and more efficient way back up your iPhone and keep all your settings, apps, themes, and preferences intact just the way they are.

Thanks ahead of time to any of you that offer me advice on this matter.

Take care

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can only make one on a device that has a bootrom exploit. That is only A4 devices and older. But it isn't a restorable backup, because of how the SHSH blobs work, you can't restore the disk image of an iOS device. But it is mountable on a Mac.

3. naystcb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the explanation, I knew there had to be a reasonable answer as to why this wasn't already being done. I appreciate your help, perhaps you could offer a suggestion as to what is the most reliable Package and Settings backup app or utility to use for my jailbroken iPhone 5?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. naystcb thread starter macrumors newbie