Creating a second itunes library on my MBA

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drummerlondonw3, Nov 5, 2008.

1. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

Hi,

I am hoping someone will be able to help. I have my main itunes library (100+gb) stored on MBP (see sig) and I want to create a smaller library on my MBA of 10-15gb of my top rated songs. The question I have what is the best way to move these files to my MBA?

I have the superdrive for it and I was planning to burn a dvd on the MBP and import it that way BUT would I lose any quality having to re-encode them or is there a way to burn a data dvd or something?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me with this

D:apple:

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

You can burn a data disc. I think you can do it in the finder directly.

It would take a little while but not terribly long, but I would transfer the files over a network to the MBA. You're not looking at more than a couple of hours.

3. goobimama macrumors regular

Transfer you entire iTunes library folder (user home folder » Music » iTunes) to your MacBook air. Once the MBA loads that library, you then delete all the 3 stars and below songs.

4. drummerlondonw3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

Thanks for the reply - the only problem I have is finding the files to transfer - I have a playlist in itunes with the songs but how would I access this through finder??

My itunes library is about twice the size of my MBA SSD so I wouldn't be able to do that

D:apple:

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you have the extra space on the original system, if you create the playlist, you should be able to select all of the songs in iTunes and drag 'n drop them to your desktop (or a folder on your desktop). iTunes should then make a copy of the files wherever you drop them.

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I believe that when you put a disc into iTunes to burn a playlist you can tell it to burn a data disc (i.e. it will burn the .mp3 files) instead of an audio CD (i.e. convert it to a disc like what you buy in the store).