Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmenchin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
Hey all, I'm trying to connect my Macbook to my work internet via an ethernet connection- I do not have access to the main router, just a ethernet jack. Currently, I have a desktop PC at work that works fine and when I plug in my Macbook, the machine does not recognize the internet. I spoke with my IT department who said that I need a static IP address but they do not support Apple so I'm on my own. I tried typing ipconfig in the command window and got 3 numbers : IP address, subnet mask and gatewy address. In the system prefs I typed in the IP number, subnet mask but am not sure where to put the gateway address - Still can't connect to internet - any thougths would be much appreciated.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Well, your IT department isn't smart at all. Telling someone to put in a static IP without assisting is just asking for trouble.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Your IT department needs to assist you with this. It's pure incompetence for them to be telling you to give yourself a static IP address, without first knowing the range used for DHCP and a free address for you to use and them to take note of. The MacBook will communicate using TCP/IP the same as any PC. Check how your PC is configured. Is it also using a static IP, or is it using DHCP? Have you verified that your MacBook works elsewhere using its ethernet jack? Try duplicating the network settings of the PC, the IP, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS information to the MacBook and temporarily disable or disconnect the PC from the network, and see if the MacBook can connect. You can get all the required information from the PC by typing "ipconfig /all" at the command line, and taking note of the network information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.