Creating a streaming server for a company?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joejoejoe, Feb 24, 2015.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

The company I'm working with now gets a lot of reels on DVD.

I want to create a streaming library, sort of like our own netflix for the company.

The idea is to take our bookshelf of DVD reels and port everything to an app on our computers/tablets/phones that's secure but fast, where we can just open the app, see our library, easily search, and stream what we want.

What are the options out there for something like this?

2. blackboxideas macrumors member

You could check out Plex for a start, grab a NAS to store your converted assets (if you're not storing them on a server) and you pretty much have all you need!

3. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm going to look into all of this, sounds promising!

and thank you!

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

How many people are you looking to have accessing your files at once? How long are the video's?

Our company did something similar but we were looking at thousands accessing files at once. Plex was just not going to cut it. Ended up with a media server, web server, and some streaming software on top of that along with a managed switch or two so that our network wasn't killed by the video. I am not saying this is what you should, this might be total overkill for you and Plex might be the answer! Quick, easy, and best of all free!

If you are looking for say 5-10 people at a time, I would make sure your NAS/MediaServer can handle that many simultaneous connections and streams.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Yeah depending on the amount of users, you're really looking into a digital asset management solution