Creating a Stupid New Desktop

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Hello,

I want to create a new desktop on my Macbook Pro and I only want to put a writing app and a browser there with NOTHING else. The idea is that I don't have any distractions and I will write (hopefully) without restrictions.

So anyway I would like someone kind and sweet and patient to give me the directions on how to do it with minimum verbal abuse because I have a feeling this is like ABC to most Apple users.

Needless to say, excuse the stupid question.

I still need help, so HELP!

Thank you,
Tissue Paper

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
That's it? No, I want to keep my current user but I only want to change the desktop view to something bare with only a typing app and a browser.

I can't do that?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Nothing pops immediately into my head.

If you want no distractions, what better than a clean user account without all those distracting internet bookmarks, and iTunes content etc?

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Thanks both of you hehe.

I guess, I just thought having 1 user account saves me the trouble of logging in and out compared to the simple swoosh of toggling between two desktops :p

Anyway it doesn't hurt to try :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I want to create a new desktop on my Macbook Pro and I only want to put a writing app and a browser there with NOTHING else. The idea is that I don't have any distractions and I will write (hopefully) without restrictions.
You don't need to create a new account. Simply remove everything from your Desktop and from your Dock, except the apps that you want there. Simple!

Having said that, there is no technology that serves as a suitable substitute for self-discipline.

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Yeah I know that, but self-discipline and I are not on speaking terms at the moment :p

I'll try! I'll see how it works! Thank you

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
You don't need to create a new account. Simply remove everything from your Desktop and from your Dock, except the apps that you want there. Simple!
I think the OP wants some way of flipping between a clean desktop/dock and one full of "stuff".

Having said that, there is no technology that serves as a suitable substitute for self-discipline.
Agreed. I use the TiBook for a no distractions machine. Runs productivity software just fine, but Facebook is so slow to enforce the self-discipline. :D

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
You know George R. R. Martin uses DOS to write his manuscripts (with no internet) so if the lord of Games of Thrones can't do it, there's no way in hell I can do it :p

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
And after your working hours, put back everything to the Desktop and to your Dock to your off hours.

The day after, Simply remove everything from your Desktop and from your Dock, except the apps that you want there.

At 18h00, put back everything to the Desktop and to your Dock to your off hours.

The day after, Simply remove everything from your Desktop and from your Dock, except the apps that you want there.

An so on.

As GGJStudios said : "simple"....

:D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You know George R. R. Martin uses DOS to write his manuscripts (with no internet) so if the lord of Games of Thrones can't do it, there's no way in hell I can do it :p
If you really want to just write without distractions, I recommend this state-of-the-art hardware that is custom-designed for writing and writers:

And after your working hours, put back everything to the Desktop and to your Dock to your off hours.
The OP didn't say they wanted two Desktops, only one that had no distractions.
I want to create a new desktop on my Macbook Pro and I only want to put a writing app and a browser there with NOTHING else.
They didn't say "an additional desktop", so "create a new Desktop" can mean to replace the current one.

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Hahahhahaha

It's like the Twilight zone, if you move one app in a user's interface it disappears from another's?!?! :eek:

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Have you discovered Spaces? Very handy for managing my mild case of ADD. I can swoosh between one space to another with a simple key-click if I need to (without logging in/out), but if I'm writing I can keep my "writing" space pristine and tidy.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Yeah, I heard it was WordStar.

There was a columnist for Byte who was also a Sci-Fi author (I forget his name). He had a writing room nicknamed the Monks Cell which had no telephone and the computer in there wasn't networked to keep distractions to a minimum.

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I think this one is more suitable for me.

Feast your eyes boys... I introduce to you- the one and only

https://hemingwrite.com/

----------

It's quite disturbing to realize that the master minds behind our favorite books and shows were human :p

Thank you for the Spaces tip. I'll add that to my list of experiments this week!

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Really? $500 for that? Is this some kind of joke?

Self discipline is free, and its rewards can be priceless.

leman

macrumors G3
Oct 14, 2008
As someone who is working on a PhD thesis, I can tell you that the only distraction to writing is you yourself ;) All these stuff with distraction-free writing is nothing else but a subtle form of procrastination.

BTW, if you want to focus, you can make your browser and editor fullscreen in two separate spaces, enable the do not disturb mode and switch between them with CTL+Arrow

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Pumpkindale
Hello,

So anyway I would like someone kind and sweet and patient to give me the directions on how to do it with minimum verbal abuse because I have a feeling this is like ABC to most Apple users.

Needless to say, excuse the stupid question.

I still need help, so HELP!

Thank you,
Tissue Paper
You still have a browser there. To me, that hardly seems like "no distractions". It just means the distractions are two or three clicks away.

Except maybe if the browser is Lynx.

Tissue Paper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
dyt1983 chown33 Thanks for replying :)

chabig Going through the link now! Sounds really useful, thanks!

Leman, LOL I guess there's no way around it. I agree with you- it is a form of procrastination :p