Creating a Stupid New Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tissue Paper, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Tissue Paper macrumors regular

Hello,

I want to create a new desktop on my Macbook Pro and I only want to put a writing app and a browser there with NOTHING else. The idea is that I don't have any distractions and I will write (hopefully) without restrictions.

So anyway I would like someone kind and sweet and patient to give me the directions on how to do it with minimum verbal abuse because I have a feeling this is like ABC to most Apple users.

Needless to say, excuse the stupid question.

I still need help, so HELP!

Thank you,
    Tissue Paper

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Create a second user account. Users and Groups under System Preferences.

3. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

That's it? No, I want to keep my current user but I only want to change the desktop view to something bare with only a typing app and a browser.

I can't do that?

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Nothing pops immediately into my head.

If you want no distractions, what better than a clean user account without all those distracting internet bookmarks, and iTunes content etc?

6. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks both of you hehe.

I guess, I just thought having 1 user account saves me the trouble of logging in and out compared to the simple swoosh of toggling between two desktops :p

Anyway it doesn't hurt to try :D

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to create a new account. Simply remove everything from your Desktop and from your Dock, except the apps that you want there. Simple!

Having said that, there is no technology that serves as a suitable substitute for self-discipline.

8. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I know that, but self-discipline and I are not on speaking terms at the moment :p

I'll try! I'll see how it works! Thank you

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I think the OP wants some way of flipping between a clean desktop/dock and one full of "stuff".

Agreed. I use the TiBook for a no distractions machine. Runs productivity software just fine, but Facebook is so slow to enforce the self-discipline. :D

10. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

You know George R. R. Martin uses DOS to write his manuscripts (with no internet) so if the lord of Games of Thrones can't do it, there's no way in hell I can do it :p

11. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

And after your working hours, put back everything to the Desktop and to your Dock to your off hours.

The day after, Simply remove everything from your Desktop and from your Dock, except the apps that you want there.

At 18h00, put back everything to the Desktop and to your Dock to your off hours.

The day after, Simply remove everything from your Desktop and from your Dock, except the apps that you want there.

An so on.

As GGJStudios said : "simple"....

:D

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you really want to just write without distractions, I recommend this state-of-the-art hardware that is custom-designed for writing and writers:

[​IMG]
    The OP didn't say they wanted two Desktops, only one that had no distractions.
    They didn't say "an additional desktop", so "create a new Desktop" can mean to replace the current one.

13. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

Hahahhahaha

It's like the Twilight zone, if you move one app in a user's interface it disappears from another's?!?! :eek:

14. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Have you discovered Spaces? Very handy for managing my mild case of ADD. I can swoosh between one space to another with a simple key-click if I need to (without logging in/out), but if I'm writing I can keep my "writing" space pristine and tidy.

15. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yeah, I heard it was WordStar.

There was a columnist for Byte who was also a Sci-Fi author (I forget his name). He had a writing room nicknamed the Monks Cell which had no telephone and the computer in there wasn't networked to keep distractions to a minimum.

16. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

I think this one is more suitable for me.

Feast your eyes boys... I introduce to you- the one and only

https://hemingwrite.com/

----------

It's quite disturbing to realize that the master minds behind our favorite books and shows were human :p

Thank you for the Spaces tip. I'll add that to my list of experiments this week!

17. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Really? $500 for that? Is this some kind of joke?

Self discipline is free, and its rewards can be priceless.

18. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

19. leman macrumors 604

As someone who is working on a PhD thesis, I can tell you that the only distraction to writing is you yourself ;) All these stuff with distraction-free writing is nothing else but a subtle form of procrastination.

BTW, if you want to focus, you can make your browser and editor fullscreen in two separate spaces, enable the do not disturb mode and switch between them with CTL+Arrow

20. dyt1983, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

21. chown33 macrumors 604

You still have a browser there. To me, that hardly seems like "no distractions". It just means the distractions are two or three clicks away.

Except maybe if the browser is Lynx.

22. chabig macrumors 68040

Who said anything about logging out? Let me introduce you to Fast User Switching

23. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

dyt1983 chown33 Thanks for replying :)

chabig Going through the link now! Sounds really useful, thanks!

Leman, LOL I guess there's no way around it. I agree with you- it is a form of procrastination :p