Creating a USB Lion Installer..

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ohla313, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Hi all,

I've been trying to make a USB Lion Installer but every time I try to boot from it, I see the a circle with a line through it, basically an error.

How do I go about doing this correctly? I tried different drives and followed all instructions online. I make sure I restore the Lion installer to the USB and I format it to GUID.

Those who succeeded in making their own Lion boot drive, what were your exact steps?

2. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Try the other USB port when you boot from the thumb drive if you have not already tried that. I had an issue similar to this. I switched USB ports then it worked.

4. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I tried that too and it didn't work. Ugh. Well here is something interesting though. I tried booting from the USB by following prisstratton's link and was able to have it working when I had a CD in my superdrive. But when I didn't have a disk in the superdrive and had a blank HDD in, it wouldn't load at all! It did not show any errors. Just a white screen

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Are there any firmware updates available for your Mac that you have not installed?

6. Jason.yu macrumors newbie

Maybe I have the same problem as yours. I need to reboot two times then it works normally; but some benchmark devices work fine without rebooting. The turnaround solution is to ask end-users to click the Application (if you have) manually at the first installation in Lion with driver loaded from the application at the same time. Hope some experts can give comments for the right solution. ( it is no problem in 10.4/10.5/10.6, only happens in 10.7)

7. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

You mean prior to creating the Lion installer? Yes I have made sure to run software update.