Creating a virtual drive (not simply mounting)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Submerged06, May 28, 2010.

1. Submerged06 macrumors newbie

I've been scouring Google for a while trying to find a way to do this, but to no avail. I have a playstation emulator on my mac and am attempting to mount an iso of a game to play it. (As a legal sidenote, I do legally own the game and ripped the iso myself from the original disc, so there shouldn't be any issues with that -- I just don't want to have to use the cd and keep it with me, etc.).

I have been able to get a perfect .iso, .dmg, and a folder containing the files. The only thing I can't manage to do is mount it in such a way that the emulator will see it as a disc and not a mounted image. That is, the typical Disk Utility kind of mounting. I have tried it with Roxio Toast versions 7 and 10 (10 is the latest, but I had heard that 7 mounts it in a unique way) to no avail.

There is an old program called Virtual CD-RW (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/33355/virtual-cd-rw), but the application won't even open when I downloaded the demo version (double-click/selecting "open" simply didn't have any response at all). However, the kind of language used to describe it seem to be what I am looking for: manipulating kernels in such a way that other applications see it as an actual, physical cd-drive.

Assuming I don't have any more luck with Virtual CD-RW (still trying though), is there any other program/OS way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've had success with "fooling" things in this way, but it's very particular about what settings you use.

#1, the image and the CD/DVD source must have identical names.
    #2, the image needs to be read-only, like a real disc.
    #3, you can try fooling around with the image type. I've had success with both "compressed" and "CD/DVD master" types of images.

3. Submerged06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks for the reply :).

I tried using Roxio Toast 7 using the same name as comes up on the original disc (FINALFANTASYTACTICS), setting it as "read-only" (as opposed to .iso, so it created a .dmg that time) and then mounting it from the "copy" section.

It shows up as a disc on my desktop and Finder, and I can double-click and see its contents just like a disc, but the application still isn't seeing it :(.

EDIT: In regards to Virtual CD-RW, I just noticed that opening the app did in fact make a cd icon in my menu bar -- so now I do know that the program is running. However, I am unsure what to do with it -- selecting "new media" does nothing, as far as I can tell. Selecting "Open existing media" brings up a box in which I can select an .iso file, but after I select it and click "open" it once again appears as though nothing is happening. Has anyone used this program?