Creating a "yarn" text effect in photoshop or illustrator

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by jrm27, Jan 6, 2011.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hello all,

Weird question, and hoping for some guidance.

Ihave built a light box and put a big pile of unspooled yarn in it. In the picture, the pile of yarn is off to the left, and there is a single strand (leading to the end of the yarn) stretched horizontally across the front of the picture. I'm trying to figure out a way to either:
    a. transform the straight line of yarn and manipulate it into text shapes (probably something cursive-like), so I can make it spell something.
    b. create a "yarn" text effect that I can drop into the area.

I'm basically trying to make the single strand of yarn spell a word. I'm halfway decent with this kind of stuff, but still trying to figure out how I might accomplish something like this.

Not even sure if this makes any sense! Heck, if there's even a "yarn" font out there that anyone knows of, I'd even use that and blend it in with the photo. Thanks for any direction or advice!

-jon

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd take a single strand of yarn, use it to spell out a word, then photograph it.

Am I missing something here?

3. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Perhaps you could create the text you want, turn it into a shape (a path outlining the letters), and then paste a photo of the yarn into that shape.

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

+10
    Don't know why people avoid the obvious. I've actually needed burned paper for a texture and I just lit a wad of paper on fire in the office.

6. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thans guys,

I tried spellign out with yarn (first thought before I created this thread), and that avenue didn't work out so great. I ended up hand drawing everything (ball of yarn and the needed text), and that turned out well. Thanks for the rope brushes!