Creating Access Point/Extending Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by The_Man, Sep 7, 2007.

1. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

So I live in a dorm and my friend is able to get wireless internet from his room; however, the signal does not reach my room.
    So I was wondering how I can extend this signal. I have a Linksys WRT54G router and was hoping someone knew how to set up an access point or whatever will work.
    My friend has an iMac and I am planning on using my iBook.
    Can anyone give me directions on how to do this (step by step would be a real help as well).

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. The_Man thread starter macrumors 6502

The_Man

Well, I am not exactly in the market to buy a new router. But a couple years ago I hosted a wireless network from my dorm room wired connection although a friend of mine set it up and I do not remember how it works.
    So I am pretty sure it can be done.
    Does anyone know how to do it?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's not a router so much as an extender. A machine may be able to share it's ethernet connection via a wireless adaptor. All AirPort-enabled Macs can do this, and most PCs. Depending on your setup, this might help. :)

5. MK2007 macrumors regular

You can't use the WRT54G as an access point. Most vendors allow their router to be configured as an access point, but Linksys doesn't because they want you to buy their access point or range extender. Either one of those will allow you to extend the network. However, there are a few unknowns in this scenario. We don't know the distance between the rooms or the obstacles. How will you run a cable to an access point, for example? Chances are that you need a range extender -- or an antenna.