Creating actual-size PDFs from wide Excel spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ubele, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Ubele macrumors 6502a

Okay, I'm actually trying to so this in Excel 2003 for Windows at work, but I have the most recent version of Office for Mac on my home computer and can do it there if the procedure is different between the two versions.

I'm working on a certain type of project that can have any combination of associated Word, PowerPoint, and Excel documents. When I'm done with a project, I want to create a single PDF containing all associated content. In principle, it's easy: create a PDF of each document, and then combine the PDFs using Acrobat. Unfortunately, most of the Excel spreadsheets are wider than any of the paper sizes in Excel's Page Setup options. For instance, if I select Legal for the paper size and then print landscape to PDF, it prints however many columns would fit on an 11" piece of paper, then prints the next 11" range of columns, and so on. The resulting document makes no sense, because all the columns aren't contiguous. I'm never going to print the PDF, just view it on screen, and I want the PDF to look just like the Excel spreadsheet does. Is there any sort of "Print Actual Width" option in Acrobat that overrides Excel's page-size options? I've Googled this topic and checked Microsoft's support site, and haven't seen anyone else ask the question.

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

There are probably other ways to do it, but I usually use the scaling found in the "page setup" dialog.

3. mattrickman macrumors newbie

Try custom paper size

The only way I have found to do this, is to create a custom paper size and then "print" the .pdf to that custom paper size. This takes a bit of trial and error.

matt rickman

4. Ubele thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. I found the scaling option, and it will suffice for my purposes.