Creating additional NTFS partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zephi, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Zephi, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

Zephi macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have been using Windows through bootcamp for some time now, however while installing it I only allocated 50GB of space for this purpose, which is too small of a partition right now. I couldn't have expected I would need any more space than that ever, but welp, I do, so what do I do now?

I figured I'll just create another partition by shrinking my OSX one. Turns out Disk Utility doesn't allow you to create an NTFS partition anymore, so I chose free space to hopefully create a partition on Windows. Cannot do that either, for some reason it says "not enough space on the disk to perform this operation".

I really need more space on Windows without reinstalling it, any advice?

EDIT: I ended up destroying my bootcamp partition by installing tuxera's ntfs suite, reinstalling Windows right now.

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

There's no absolutely safe way to re-partition once Bootcamped. In fact you can toast everything.
    If changes need to be made it's best to remove Windows and start again with a bigger allocation of space.

3. Sniper007 macrumors newbie

Sorry to post in a fairly old thread but this is exactly the same problem I'm having.

I put Windows on my MacAir expecting it to be an occasional thing for work and then it has become my work computer since my workload became more mobile and the Air runs Windows so well.

So much that I'm considering not using OSX on the Air ever again as I have a Mini for my Mac OS needs.

What would happen if I formatted the OSX partition in Windows? Would it give me that space to use or does the Bootcamp need something in that partition to enable it to boot?