creating admin account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mwp98223, Jun 19, 2007.

1. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

I just got my first mac on Sunday. In the sheer excitement I started it up and started plugging in my info and have gone forward to configure networks, printers, etc.

In my haste to enjoy my long-awaited switch, I forgot important advice I've seen in many places -- that is -- I should have set up an administrator account and then a user account for myself.

My question: Is it "too late" at this point to correct this situation? Should I "rename" the account I have started, and create a "user" account for myself to work in? Now that I have mucked around a bit in an unfamiliar OS, I understand how I might mess something up if I'm not a little careful. So the advice sounds good, I just need to know how to go about it at this point. Thanks.

2. 66217 Guest

DO NOT RENAME THE ACCOUNT YOU HAVE JUST CREATED!!! Serious problems may arise from doing this.

If you go to System Preferences>Accounts you would be able to create a new account.

But really, there is no need to make a separate account if you are going to be the only user.

3. mwp98223 thread starter macrumors 6502

Generally my wife and I are the only users and my wife only rarely. It seems to ask for my password before installs and major changes, I'm not sure I understand what the difference would be if I had a user account only.

4. 66217 Guest

You can limit some actions. It's great if you have kids, and don't want them to use Safari (you can let them use only certain web pages) or install or use apps, etc.

Apart from that, your Mac won't be more secure than it already is.:)

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Shrug. I disagree. If you feel up to a lotta reading, check out this thread.

Or, instead, read this thread since the lovely iMeowbot shed quite a bit of light for me (and I imagine others, as well).