Creating an App id. Help with domainname

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Metal Dice, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

I know that it should look something like this. com.domainname.appname.
    My question is: What exactly is the domainname and do i just have to leave it like that, or should i put in a custom domainname... I am pretty confused with this, and i would appreciate any kind of help.
    Thanks in advance

2. firewood macrumors 604

Register your own .com domain with an internet domain registrar so that you have your own unique domain name: one of your trademarks, company name, your name, whatever isn't already registered and/or trademarked.

Your app website might be http://productname.example.com , and your app ID might be com.example.productname (but DON'T the words domainname appname example or productname as they appear in the samples).

3. Metal Dice thread starter macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Is getting a domain name a must. What if you dont have any domain name. And also can you use one of those free websites (blogger.com Yola.com...) for your domain name.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No! Don't do that: what if they want to use their domain name for an app? If you don't have a domain use something you know is not a real domain name. For example I might use duncan.robbie.appname. I know this is not a valid domain name as duncan is not a TLD.

5. Metal Dice thread starter macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Thanks for the help. So for this little test app i'm gonna use a fake domain name. But lets say i created an iPhone app that i wanned to distribute in the app store.
    Will i be able to use another domain name or will i be stuck with the fake one.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm pretty sure you can change it at a later date (but probably best to do so before your first submission to the store).

7. firewood macrumors 604

If you are going to do a paid app, consider it as part of the cost of doing business. Shop for a cheap registrar, and don't forget to list it as an expense on your tax accounting.