Creating an index page for book?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by salvadormg, Sep 13, 2009.

1. salvadormg macrumors member

salvadormg

Hi,

I was wondering can anyone help me or give me advice on how to creat an index page for an app i am doing?!

I am making this kinda book app, and it has chapters in it, like 1 - 10, and i really need an index page to take a user to each chapter they want to read but i really have no idea how to do this or any code to use??

Would i do something like link a new window to each new chapter view or something? can i do that in interface builder or do i need coding? plus if i do that window to each chapter would it not throw up an error when a user just wants to scroll through the whole book and a new chapter comes up and it is linked to something else?

Thank for your help... I am only getting uses to this... :(

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Have you downloaded any book apps from the app store to see how they do this?

Seems like a table view with one chapter for each row would work. Tap the row and go to the first page of the chapter.

3. salvadormg thread starter macrumors member

salvadormg

yes i downloaded a few book Apps, but i don't no how the code or structure is working behind them! is there anyway to get the code? (i no thats not exactly ethical but what is these days... i no how to change them into zip files and get pictures and sounds but that didn't help a lot with the code!)

how would i start a table view? would only the rows in the view be visible? how would i get back to the start?

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

The purpose of looking at other apps is to get an idea of how you want something to look and function.

UITableView and UTableViewController are standard system classes. Look at the table view programming guide and the table view suite sample code from apple.

5. StevenHu macrumors member

I suggest the first screen be a table with the chapter numbers or names. click on the chapter name and it takes you to the top of the chapter. This site will help you get going: http://icodeblog.com/ Start with the Hello World project and work your way down.

Steve H