Creating and burning image files of CDs and DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by millhouse83, Aug 15, 2007.

1. millhouse83 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm working in an independent record label, and we're currently changing the workflow/availablility of some media resources. Please keep in mind that none of the things I mention below are copy protected in anyway.

We've just got a new external drive, and the office works from OSX 10.4.x.

We need to create image files of both audio CD and DVD-Video discs from source discs and burn them maintaining the integrity of the image. ie: the audio CD burned needs to be playable in an audio CD player, and the DVD video discs need to be playable in a standalone player.

This process needs to be as simple as possible, and preferably using freeware or applications already within the OS X system.

I know how to do this kind of stuff with Windows, but I'm not terribly Mac savvy besides some particular applications, so any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. pengu macrumors 6502a

Disk Utility can create, convert and burn Disk Images.

i use LiquidCD which is a freeware app that (i believe) makes use of the system frameworks for creating/burning disc images etc..

3. millhouse83 thread starter macrumors newbie

See, I ripped and burned an audio CD as a dmg, but when i burned it, i ended up 1 one data track rather than numerous music tracks. this is the kind of problem i want to avoid. not just for me, but for the others in the office - i need something simple.

any further thoughts?

4. pengu macrumors 6502a

a DMG is good for files, not so good for audio. use the "CD/DVD Master" format when you create images and you should be fine :)

5. qveda macrumors regular

What is a simple way to copy a CD or DVD? printable labels?

Hi,
    just switched to Mac from PC :)
    With a single superdrive, what is an easy way to make a copy of a CD or DVD - either music or data - so that it is playable or readable right away?

On PC I used Nero. Free and easy to use.

Also, I'm looking for inexpensive or free s/w to print labels on printable CDs (not lightscribe). I was using SureThing on PC. (I am using an HP printer that has CD printing capability)

thanks!