Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdotdubz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Hey guys,

I have some great ideas for apps, but don't know how to program. I am willing to learn, however I think it would be better if I organized a team to accomplish the things I want to do.

I really think some of the ideas I have are great business solutions, I just wish I knew how to translate that onto a working app. My ideas are simple enough where I probably would need to much programming knowledge or experience to make them materialize. However, I don't know how, so I think I need to do plan B.

Knowing about the iFund, I am seriously considering starting a small company and testing out my plans. I figured heck, half the board at Apple can't program, so if they can, so can I, I understand stuff well enough to know what would work and what couldn't.

So here are my 2 questions, with the second being more important:

1) How and where can I learn to program for the iPhone... and

2) How should I go about by testing my idea, in other words how can one form a company in order to release such a great product? I am asking this one especially because I know some of you are developers yourselves and would highly appreciate the help.

The SDK and Apples approach is great because I think it makes getting your prduct to peoples hands much easier than the traditional route, however my trouble is making the actual product stable and working, lol.

Any help would be great! Thanks All!

:D

makasin

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
first, download the iphone SDK. And if you have a Mac, install XCode, which is gonna be on your OSX install disc.
Then, get a book on Cocoa application development, or a book on C or C++.
The concepts aren't too terribly hard to grasp and once youve learned one feature-filled programming language (like C/C++ or Java, but java is kinda different from the rest and makes things easier due to automatic memory management), then its relatively simple to switch to another language.

Also, I would recommend, if you arent motivated enough to just read a book, to take a programming class at community college or university. I'm going to school at UC San Diego, I started as a Computer Science major, but switched to Electrical Engineering. Either way, I learned to program, and I think its a really important skill to have, because you can do SO MUCH stuff with it.

igglepuff

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
first, download the iphone SDK. And if you have a Mac, install XCode, which is gonna be on your OSX install disc.
Then, get a book on Cocoa application development, or a book on C or C++.
The concepts aren't too terribly hard to grasp and once youve learned one feature-filled programming language (like C/C++ or Java, but java is kinda different from the rest and makes things easier due to automatic memory management), then its relatively simple to switch to another language.

Also, I would recommend, if you arent motivated enough to just read a book, to take a programming class at community college or university. I'm going to school at UC San Diego, I started as a Computer Science major, but switched to Electrical Engineering. Either way, I learned to program, and I think its a really important skill to have, because you can do SO MUCH stuff with it.

very true. only one thing, the 'and if you have a mac' statement. Well, if you don't, you're out of luck :p the SDK is only w/ xcode and only works on new intel machines i believe (maybe they released windows one after initial launch, but i don thtink so..).

Good luck and have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.