Creating Apps...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JasonBourne1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. JasonBourne1 macrumors regular

Didn't know where to put this, but I need some advice.
    I've got a great idea for an App, for either Mac, iPhone or iPad or even non-Mac gizmo's.
    The problem is I have no idea to get started. As I know nothing about coding or programming, Im going to outsource the job to a company that create apps, but I dont want them to steal my idea. Do I patent it or not?

Can anyone help?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Knowledge is power. Go educate yourself on the system and how things are done. I'm not saying you need to be an expert in the matter but you need to know what you're getting into. Next, as far as patenting, you have to know what is patentable and what isn't. Then, of course, patent what you can, but that will cost money.

Next when talking with a company, before any discussion about the project, you get them to sign an NDA, and discuss terms (50/50 split, 80/20 split, net or gross, etc. . . ) Then talk to them about it.

Sadly, you may find that much of this will end up costing you more then it will generate. But if it is a truly great idea, then it will be worth it.

You may be better off starting a company, hiring 2 or 3 programmers and having them code it up while you oversee what is going on. That will optimize your profits, and you can always get rid of the programmers when the project is over. Or just hire them as contractors to start with.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First, I would find a well-known reputable company. Second, I would contact them and see what they have to say about their business, their % that is taken from sales ... if they get that at all, etc etc. Basically, you'd want to CYA in the event your app takes off. You don't want to be getting pennies on the dollar because you cannot program.

I saw an ad in Wired, I think, for a company. IIRC is was called A-1 Technology. I could be wrong on the name. I googled what I thought it was and that came up. I would shop around. Any reputable company will give you details on their models before you pony up your idea. It should be clear.

The final thing I'd do is ensure your contract with them is rock solid. Don't skip the contract either. Best to ensure you're protected.

4. JasonBourne1 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about maybe contacting a well known brand to pitch the idea to them instead, so it can be used for their website/app instead of me going solo

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think pitching an idea to a well-known brand is going to be hard unless you have an in. If you're trying to make an app using this well-known brand then get a lawyer and have him (or her) assist you with this process. In this case, you want to protect yourself from potential lawsuits.

6. gks, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

gks macrumors 6502

You're looking at a world of hurt by not being educated about this.

Are you good at math? If so, programming is easy.

Having someone make an app may end up costing more than you'll make for the application.

You should try doing it on your own first. Get a simple C programming book, or learn with Python first.

Learning Python from O'Reilly is good

And for C programming: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language_(book)

You can learn the basics pretty easily. Once you get an idea of how programming works you can dig in more on something like Cocoa.

I'd suggest the C book as that will help introduce you to a lot of what you'll use for Objective-C (Obj-C is C with objects). But if you want a much smaller step, check out Python first. Just realize that Python will mostly be an introduction to programming. You'll still need to learn C before really jumping into Objective-C.

I have a lot of friends that think up ideas. The difference between them and successful people is the desire to be more than an idea man. Everyone has ideas. Being able to implement those ideas is what will separate you from failure and success.

7. JasonBourne1 thread starter macrumors regular

Im dreadful at Maths, if truth be told. Some people pick up things like programming quite easily - unfortunately, im not one of them. Believe me I've tried.

8. gks macrumors 6502

Good opportunity to learn then.

9. Danekero macrumors member

Agreed. People often have really bad experiences trying to learn programming because they don't get the right teacher. The problem I had and I know many people who have had is accidentally starting in the middle, and it's extremely frustrating when you don't understand something that your teacher (be they a book or a person) expects you to know.

I'd recommend getting a good book and trying to learn. If you find yourself halfway through and still don't understand, maybe start seeking out programmers to help you. But even if you are by no means a mathematician, you can learn to program. All it takes is logic and a good teacher, the latter being far too uncommon in this field. You can learn, regardless of past experience.

10. Lizza macrumors newbie

Creating apps

I think that the best variant for you is to sell your idea to the software developing company. As besides software development you should know a lot about software selling.

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Most likely the easiest way to approach this. Sell them the idea for a fixed amount and then that's it. But few software companies buy ideas from people soliciting them, but they do go out and buy ideas / IP from people who have already developed something around them.

No matter what you do, be ready to pitch your idea. Have mock-ups, interface planned out, details how things work, and market research to see what would be the competition. If you go in and just say, "I have an idea for an app, make one that keeps track of the number of touches someone makes." and nothing else, you'll be shown the door quickly. You have to be professional about it.

12. gks macrumors 6502

Face it guys. Ideas are something everyone has. You can't sell an idea like that.

Besides, we're taking the OP's word that it's a good idea. Who says it's a good idea other than him? We don't know the idea and so we cannot comment accurately.

Your best bet is to build it yourself, or put together a small team of people who DO know how to program and make it happen. Those are your two options.

It's easier to sell a product than it is to sell an idea. A product has something that can be used. An idea is merely that. An idea.

Build it or get off the pot.