Creating back up of website..

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JackT06, Dec 20, 2010.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hello,

Just a quick question..

I currently have a free hosting account with "000WebHost". However, once you use over 100mb of storage, they are unable to do backups of your site.

Does anyone know a program (windows or mac), that would create a backup..?

OR would my other soloution of just using FTP to download the files every so often, work beter....?

Thankyou:D

2. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I see no reason why this wouldn't work for you - keeping the site on your computer. Besides, you are changing it locally and uploading it anyway, right? So what you have is the current version.

Now, if you have data that needs to be backed up, that is another story. You need to backup data files on their servers and download the backup to be sure you are protected if they lose data.

3. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Nope, i currently edit it all online. Which yeah, i know i shouldn't but it made it so easier when i'm swapping between my mac and desktop.

Do you know of a service where it will back up what's on your computer...? I get paraniod about whether my site is safe or not, because i do it all bymy self, have worked on it for a year, and put 100% effort in to it...

thankyou:D

4. harpster macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend using 000WebHost except for a test site at best. Their FTP on the free sites is terrible and they will kick you off after a minute or so where you need to log back on to FTP. Also they will notices on your site flagging removal if there's not activity for 2 weeks or something like that. Surely you can afford $35 or so a year for a paid host that will not only work better but back-up up ALL your data as well!

If your site does not have data bases or uploaded user content then you just keep the master site on your computer and the copy on the web-server, then make sure you back-up your computer. If you have a dynamic site with databases and uploaded content then you will probably want to back that up by periodically copying those files and databases to your local computer. If your data is critical then you need to make sure your using a host that can provide the type of back-up or replication that you need.

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

No, there's nothing "wrong" with the way you are doing it, but you do need to make backups if you can't rely on your hosting provider to do it for you. Mine makes backups for me, but I have never needed them. I don't like to rely on them for that anyway; that's just how I am.

I don't know of any way to automatically backup your site. Some here may know of options that I am not aware of however.

My thoughts are that if you download it each time you make changes, you will have your backup, as it's highly unlikely that your provider will have issues at the same time that you might. Besides, I'm assuming that you backup your computers regularly too? :)

6. harpster macrumors regular

You really need a local master and upload to the server from that. Editing on the server ONLY is an accident waiting to happen. If your moving between your Mac and Desktop then you can use something like Dropbox to sync your files any computer will have the most recent version. Dropbox is really handy for stuff like that. For backing up your computer you can use an external drive, NAS (like Netgear Duo) or cloud based like Carbonite.com ($55 per year).

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

My web hosts does their own backups for the server, but I also have my files locally. I setup a local SVN repository to keep all of my web site files in, which acts in part as a backup. There's also files on my host (such as logs and databases) that I backup by using an rsync command, which brings those files locally for me. Getting rsync setup appropriately can take some effort though.

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020