Creating Basic Mac Apps, and Getting Xcode

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by pyat77, Jan 7, 2011.

1. pyat77 macrumors newbie

Hi, I've recently gotten interested in creating some simple apps for my mac. I mostly want to do this for the learning experience.
    I have some basic programming experience in various languages, and I'd be happy to learn new ones.
    From what I've seen on the internet, I should get Xcode.
    There seems to be no other way to get Xcode other than registering yourself as an apple developer, and I've also seen somewhere that there is a fee if you want to be one?
    To be an Apple developer, you must be at least 18 years of age. I'm 16.
    Also, even if I were able to be a developer, I wouldn't want to pay a fee just to learn.

Can anyone give me advice, both on what resources I will need and on how to get Xcode.

Thank You,
    Paul

2. balamw, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. pyat77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. I thought I saw somewhere that becoming a developer costed money, but on the other hand. I don't really want to lie about my age (which makes me wonder why apple even cares how old you are). Is there a way I can simply dabble about, making simple apps without registering?

4. balamw, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could download a different version of gcc, but you won't get the IDE with all of the things that make your life easier.

Have a parent or other adult register and download Xcode for you. There is a legal agreement as part of the registration, and minors can't strictly do so.

EDIT: Actually, better idea, I keep forgetting that Apple actually ships Xcode with every Mac. You should have two grey discs that came with your Mac. Xcode is on the "Optional Installs" disc. You would only need to register if you want to update it.

B

5. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

No Fee, no age limit

1.The registration to get Xcode is free.

2. I don't believe there's an age requirement to register - step through the process and see.

3. There's a $99 fee if you want to distribute via the Macintosh Apple Store. I'm guessing there's a requirement (either greater than age 18 or some parent or guardian involvement) to make sure that your credit card is good.

4. If you don't want to pay the $99, just download Xcode for free and distribute your apps the old fashioned way - via the internet or e-mail them to friends.

6. mfram macrumors 65816

Developer Xcode install packages are on the Snow Leopard DVD. Just put in the install DVD that came with your computer. The packages are on there. Then Software Update will download the newest version for you. No registrations needed.

7. pyat77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I think I can do that. Thank You.
    But, yes, there is an age requirement. I'm staring at the agreement right now.
    So I'm going to get an adult to just download Xcode, and then use it.
    Thanks for your help.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Nah, it's definitely the legal agreement (see pic).

Software Update has never updated Xcode for me. Does this actually work for you?

B

Attached Files:

9. mfram macrumors 65816

It's a legal requirement because a minor can't consent to a EULA.

Yes, I just got an XCode update from the software updater about 2 weeks ago.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's what I said. legal agreement = no minors.

Weird. I don't on three separate Macs with Xcode.

B

11. pyat77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... I don't see anything with about Xcode on my mac. The only thing that mentions it that I can find is some documentation that came with my student version of Autodesk Maya.

Perhaps you are referring to X11?

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

mfram is saying that if you install Xcode from the second "Optional Installs" disc that came with your Mac it will get updated by Software Update. It may just be called "Developer Tools" but it should be on the disc ready to install.

B